THE GIFTED AND TALENTED PROGRAM
GAT Coordinator & Head Teacher Teaching and Learning :
Mrs. C. Haberecht
- Fairvale High school launched a Gifted and Talented (G.A.T) program to raise academic achievement and challenge students to achieve.
- Applications opened in 2015 for the 2016 class. Applications opened in 2016 for 2017 class. Applications for our 2018 program are now open.
- We currently have two year 8 classes and 2 year 7 G.A.T classes.
- Almost 50% of our teaching staff have received specific targeted training through the University of New South Wales (UNSW) to teach our program. We currently have 100% of those trained teachers teaching our G.A.T classes.
- Our aim is to build this program every year.
- My role is to mentor your child and work closely with the Year Advisers, Senior Executive and G.A.T teachers to continually monitor, evaluate and extend each individual student’s GROWTH (cognitive, social, physical, spiritual and emotional) by ensuring best practice is implemented.
- Parents complete an expression of interest form.
- Parents will then receive an application pack from the school.
- Students, parents and Year 6 teachers to complete application pack.
- Return application pack to the school.
- A panel of trained G.A.T teachers and the school leadership team from Fairvale High School select the students from the information in the application pack.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR STUDENTS
- GAT Trained expert teachers facilitating the lessons.
- Challenging academic environment that allows students to excel.
- Smaller class sizes
- Integrating 21 century learning tools and pedagogies into student learning.
- Successful candidates are all issued with a touch screen laptop which they take full responsibility for and use at school and home.
- Opportunities to attend G.A.T enrichment workshops within and outside of the school environment that build skills in various areas. These include Numeracy and Literacy Problem solving days with G.A.T students from other schools, STEM and Creative Arts workshops (Drama, Music (Opportunity performance classes), Dance and Visual Arts) with universities and other professional institutions.
- Leadership opportunities-chances to work with different teachers/students and our school community on projects that improve schooling life.
GIFTED AND TALENTED SCHOLARSHIP
All successful applicants receive;
- A position in the class.
- A scholarship up to the value of $300 per year. (from Year 7 to 12). This will cover the cost of initial uniform (1 x junior uniform and 1 x senior uniform) and subject fees.
- 24 hour use of a touch screen laptop registered to each student.
- Mentoring from the Gifted and Talented coordinator to ensure a smoother transition from Primary to High School and to provide continued guidance throughout the program.